Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Joy of Reading

Reading is essential. It doesn’t get any simpler than that. Whether you are silently reading or reading to someone else, reading can keep your mind thinking, introduce one to language, and can be a lot of fun too. It is a skill that enables one to study, learn, interpret and challenge information presented to him. Everyday functions, like reading a recipe, understanding driving directions, or just reading a book or magazine are easier to do and make life less confusing and more manageable.

My oldest, who will be starting “kindergarten/1st grade” this fall, started reading last year. To encourage his interest and improve his reading skills, he reads one book to the family everyday. He doesn’t read a novel. We get early readers from the library because children go through those like an infant goes through baby clothes. Sometimes, he reads one of the board books I use to read to him, to his brother and sister. The two younger ones enjoy a good read, my oldest gets practice reading, and they all get to practice listening to language. This is a great way to keep them busy when I have to get some things done around the house.

If you have taught your child to read, then you already know the gratification of listening to and watching him read. If you are in the process of teaching your child to read, then I encourage you to keep going and if this isn’t the time, then you will know. I remember wondering if he would ever learn to read after starting so many times. He wasn’t really ready the first, second (or third) time. One day, he just started reading and it all of a sudden made sense to him (what a relief to me).

There are many summer reading programs that encourage and reward children for reading during their summer break. Our local library has a program where the children record the books they read and at the end of the summer receive free books and recognition. The Old Schoolhouse introduced their new summer reading program called Summer Reading Splash, which has alot of cool things for parents (tips and encouragement) and children (weekly prizes, activity sheets, etc.). Hurry and get started because it is over Thursday, July 31. Barnes & Noble is also promoting Summer Reading w/Andrew Clements, which requires the child to journal and read. This event runs through Tuesday, September 2.

Besides the regular daily reading we do, we are reading (Mommy is reading) The Chronicles of Narnia. I remember The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe being read to me in elementary school. It was a popular book at the time, and once again, it has made it back on the charts. One of the things we will do upon completion of the book is watch the movie. It will be interesting to see how well the book was translated to film. So far, the children are curious to know what is happening to Polly and Digory. Even my one year old sits still while I’m reading.

We are always teaching our children (even when we don’t want to – I have a few habits to break) and one of the best ways to nurture a love of reading is to read yourself and to let them see you reading. I am looking forward to putting this to practice. I believe that I have read about five books, to completion, within the last six years. What a sad testament. Much of my summer will be filled with reading resources and curriculum books for school. I am actually looking forward to those reads as I plan for the school year, but I will also squeeze a few non-academic reads in there too.

Whether you participate in a structured read-a-thon or decide to go it on your own, cuddle and enjoy the time spent with your children.

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. What a great post! I have felt the same way. When my children see my reading then they will read also. Parents have to set an example. Thanks for sharing this. :)