Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Snapshots

Snapshots is a regular feature at this blog. I am a picture taking fool (just ask my children), but sometimes great shots happen and you don't have a camera. So, what do you do? You preserve the memory in your mind and at some later time, upon remembering, it may make you laugh, cry, or even roll your eyes as you recollect that special time. I have alot of those missed camera shots because I didn't have my camera. Other times, I've had a camera, but while fiddling with the lens cap or trying to get the right angle, not only missed a great picture, but I also missed the "ooh-ahh" moment that I was trying to capture. Sometimes you need to put the camera down and just enjoy the blessing of life and the people around you. I remember an experience I had while visiting my mother in-law, whom we see maybe once a year due to travelling distance and the fact she and my father in-law no longer fly. After a day full of me taking pictures, because I wanted to "preserve the moment," she finally asked me very lovingly "are you done yet!" I immediately put the camera down and started spending time with HER which is why we were there.

There are times when only a camera will do because the shot is just too funny or something you may never see again, as shown above. This is a picture taken of my now four year old daughter when she was 19 months old. To this day, it still makes me laugh. I can only imagine how it will make me feel 20 years from now. For those experiences where the camera shot was never taken, I'm thankful for my ability to write and occasionally journal about something that I don't want to forget and know I'll enjoy reading about when I'm old and gray rocking in my favorite chair.

Children are so precious and as I'm told (and am learning), grow quickly and I should preserve as many memories as I can. This is also true for life experiences. Don't miss out because you're trying to get that "perfect snapshot." Instead, enjoy the experience and later write a few words that will help you occasionally recapture that moment and that will be your "snapshot."

A picture speaks "a thousand words," and I'm going to allow this picture of my daughter to do just that. It will be left up to the reader's imagination. I'll admit that I'm glad I had a camera and was able to remove the lens cap quickly enough before she figured out what she was doing.

post signature

No comments: